Friday 24 June 2011

Architectural User Interfaces (AUIs)

Hanna’s post on the Dourish text Re-Spacing Place has spurred me back into making another blog post while I’m working on a paper which looks at some of the topics she raises. Madeline and I were recently at the CHI (Computer Human Interaction) conference in Vancouver. CHI is a massive yearly conference bringing together international HCI research. For an outsider to HCI research its an interesting experience and there are a massive range of papers from very formal usability studies and engineering papers to discussions of installation art.

During one of the special interest groups on design and HCI I made the comment that while many design disciplines were well represented at the conference there seemed to be a lack of architects. Within 24 hours of making that comment I met 3 people who had architectural training. So after that I revised my pitch to ‘architectural approaches to design were not well represented’…and I’m going to stand by this comment. Ubiquitous and Pervasive computing applications often involve a different scale of design to more traditional applications of HCI. Paul Dourish’s 2006 revision of his earlier paper reflects a resurgence in an interest in space and place as core concept in HCI and I’ve been writing a paper on what an HCI of AUIs (Architectural User Interfaces) might look like. I’m not going to give to much away before I finish the paper but here are some subheadings to discuss:

From Ambient Computing to Atmospheres
Context and Place
Programming Space

No comments:

Post a Comment