Sunday 13 February 2011

I heart Installations!

Upon purchasing a new book called ‘Art and Science Now’ I came across this installation by Dianna Domingues and Artecno Group. The piece is called ‘Heartscapes’ and it was created in NTAV Lab in 2006-2007.

Viewers are invited to navigate an immersive CAVE virtual-reality animated world built from images of a hearts interior. CAVE is a four wall Virtual Reality projection system in which a visitor experiences realistic interactive multi-sensory presentations. In this approach, which Domingues calls ‘immersive poetics’, viewer’s heartbeats and movements influence the flow of imagery and sound. The interactivity of biological signals is triggered by the heartbeat frequency. By interacting with the interfaces the viewers are then immersed in a landscape simulating their own heart scenes.








I love this particular piece of art because it reminds me of the film that I used to watch when I was little, Honey I Shrank the Kids. The possibilities of exploration if we had the ability to be small enough to enter places we couldn't even dream of now is fascinating. The human heart would definitely be on my list of the places to visit!



This particular piece of art encapsulates the wonder of the human body and the manipulation of scale takes the viewer to another dimension using virtual reality and augmented reality. We often see these images on TV or represented in books but creating the ability to physically be part of the human body, Domingues takes it to another level.

No comments:

Post a Comment