Monday 21 February 2011

She’s got the whole world in her handbag!

This week we were asked to look at the interaction between a person and a non digital object that has been designed.

I have chosen the handbag. Now and again when I walk down the street and I see, often a man, without a bag I wonder where is he going that he doesn’t need ANYTHING apart from what fits in his pockets? This baffles me as I, like most women, am surgically attached to my handbag.

As the large handbag has been in fashion for a good few years now I can not ever imagine downsizing again as everything in it is a necessity. Here I have emptied a typical handbag.





The handbags at the top of the food chain are pieces of art as much as they are practical. They are iconic pieces that say something about the carrier. The Hermès ‘Birkin’ first created in 1984 and the Chanel ‘2.25' initially created in 1955 are two of the most famous and iconic handbags and still have a major aesthetic influence over the high street today.

Nowadays although the outside may vary there seems to be a set standard for what makes up a handbag. Here I have done a quick exploded study.




There are many studies looking into the ergonomics of handbags. The constant strain on a particular shoulder can unevenly distribute the blood flow. The shoulder that carries the bag is under constant duress and the muscles become sensitized. Also most of us have a favourite position to carry the bag, which will inevitably over time, misalign our spine. There are ergonomically designed handbags but they leave much to be desired. I shall not be switching bags any time soon, but I may just switch shoulders now and again.

Hanna

No comments:

Post a Comment