Sunday 1 May 2011

Google As A Built Form

Ideas Day project idea one: Google as a built form

During our ideas day on the 27th April 2011 I developed two project ideas, this being the first with the second (on a separate blog post) entitled memories. Out of both of the project ideas I feel that this is the strongest and consequently,is that topic that I am going to be focusing my research on.

Concept:

1. What would Google look like as a building?

Technologies:

1. Adaptive

2. Reconfigurable

3. Movable

4. Kinetic

5. Dynamic

6. Parametrics

Challenges:

1. Appropriate Mapping?

2. How do we do it?

3. What do we want to map in the first place?

4. How do we create an architecture in flux?

5. What data do we map?

Research Questions:

1. What is the design process for translating data structures into physical forms?

2. What constitutes a meaningful interaction between a person and a data structure at an architectural scale?

3. What do we do in the building? – Social Experience? Beacon? Research Space?

4. What is the meaningful data?

5. Who has control?

Methods:

1. Build Stuff – design as research

2. Wizard of Oz – observational

3. Prototype – Robot, Wearable Computer, Architectural computer

4. Design Studies

5. Literature – Ambient interfaces, information visualisation, philosophy of knowledge, adaptive architecture

Doing the ideas storming made me decide what I would like to get out of the linked Research project. I want to develop a strong, interesting and original project idea that I can take forward into my 6th year Design Thesis. How can I do this? One thought has been to use the linked research project to generate a topic of which I will design a small part/component as the outcome, which can then be used as the starting point of taking the investigation further in my 6th year design Thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment