Saturday 14 May 2011

Mirror Mirror on the Wall…

Stealing a break from design work today I have had chance to think about my proposal. The outline of my project is how can you reflect the individual on the high street.

I came across this, although quite literal, amazing reflection installation. Mechanical Mirrors by Daniel Rozin creates mirrors from wood to weaving material.

The weave mirror is my favourite. The picture plane is made using laminated C shapes that are printed on. The C shapes are arranged in a way that texturally mimics a homespun basket. Each C shape works effectively like a pixel which can rotate individually to reconstitute the image that appears before them. A small video camera is sited in thee middle of each mirror which is linked to a computer which controls the individual pixels.

This technology creates a fabulous image for me, of someone walking up to a shop front window advertising something then slowly the exact window that attracts them, begins to reconfigure and reflects the individual right back! The shop front that projects the desire of the masses becomes a projection of ones self.

No comments:

Post a Comment