Wednesday 27 July 2011

Wrap It and Map It.

To wrap up my observation studies I have created a series of abstract maps that depict my collected data. I had to establish categories that I could make quantitative estimates from. I settled on; age and sex of shopper, attraction to window, speed of passer by, number of bags leaving the shop and amount of time people spent outside the shop.

I used a Newcastle city centre map to create the maps.

I edited the key with my new categories, deleted unneeded information and used the stores logo to highlight the collected data.
The maps may not be instantly legible as a conclusion to an ethnography study but it is backed up with detailed observation which I shan't bore you with! Instead I have tried to sum up what I learnt, observed or concluded about each shop in one sentence.

Fenwick’s- people who shop in Fenwick’s watch the weather forecast in the morning and own waterproof coats.

hmv- young people browse, older people buy.

Ann Summers- the walk in and out says everything i.e. the women's shy skuttle or the confident strut and the man’s "I'm having sex at the moment" swagger.

Primark- a constant sea of brown bags and a smoking area for people with prams

Apple- the 'shop' of the future where you don’t shop!


No comments:

Post a Comment