Monday 21 March 2011

Current Affairs

Tasked this week to come up with a post relating to an interaction more personal to me, I started thinking about how I spend my weekends - I like to go kayaking, with a club based out at Blyth within sight of a project Newcastle Universities Culture Lab put together last year.

"Current" is a simple premise, expressing the wind energy available on a coastal site as a sort of light show embodied within a series of beach huts. I like this installation, certainly more than I like the IDP designed beach huts themselves. With a history of wind generation on the site the installation gives a visual representation to the element and reacts in real time to changes.

Its a simple idea, I wondered weather we could do something similar to express human presence within buildings? Could we use piezo-electric devices to convert the vibrations from foot steps on a floor to power a visual or aural expression of the that persons movement within the building facade? Could we even take this notion further to map working relationships within an office or studio?


No comments:

Post a Comment