Sunday 6 March 2011

Life’s a Catwalk.

What its about: My first idea is to literality highlight my previous post. I would create an art installation that turned Newcastle high street into a digital catwalk! The pavement would light up as you walked over it and stay lit for a short amount of time leaving a trail of light behind you.


Opportunities: This piece would be all about acknowledging our day to day subconscious decisions and celebrate our differences. Maybe being briefly under a metaphorical spotlight as well as walking above a literal one, we will think about what we are saying to the world and what the world thinks back and if it even matters.

Problems: I’m not sure how much it would cost to embed my own paving slabs with LEDs and sensors temporarily replacing some of the pavement, but my guess is it would cost a lot! I’m not sure how the council would feel about my little idea either BUT I thought I’d suggest it to start me thinking and get the ball rolling.

1 comment:

  1. It’s fair to say that we would have some technical, financial and political challenges achieving a full version of this installation but there is lots to explore hear. I’m intrigued by the changing nature of street life and what the high street will become. During my lecture on the Architecture and the Information Age course yesterday we discussed that the Apple shop is less a retail outlet than a way of investing the high street with their brand identity. It makes much more sense to shop for this kind of thing online and I suspect that Apple are less concerned with how many units they sell in their retail stores than they are on how many 5 year olds are in every weekend playing with their ipads. This leads me to wonder to what extent the high street is changing to become less about selling and more about performing your identity through brands. In this case the street might well become a sort of catwalk.

    I also think there might be something in the seven second rule. A bit like those stories which have been created in five words or less the idea of a 7 second interaction seems like a challenge which might lead to elegant results.

    ReplyDelete