Sunday 27 March 2011

It’s all front.

Continuing to focus my ideas on the high street, today I have decided to look at the shop front. I find the shop front an interesting place to start because I believe it is one of the many large influences over our movement on the high street. The high street is essentially a massive shop shelf with all the products vying for our attention. The lure of a fantastic shop window can literally change the course of your direction.

The shop front strongly relates back to the seven seconds rule I have spoken about in a previous blog. At a glance the shop has to convince you that they have exactly what you need. They need to some up the entire shop in their display.

Creating the perfect shop front has become a profession within itself and it is usually the visual merchandising team that help create it. Visual merchandising has become such an important element in retailing that a team effort involving the senior management, architects, merchandising managers, buyers, the visual merchandising director, industrial designers, and staff is needed.

Selfridges are the Norman Foster of shop fronts with their windows becoming attractions in themselves.



This had me thinking about what the shop front may become in the future. Already when I am on certain websites adverts pop up that seem very much aimed at me and I’m sure they have information on my age, sex, location and even sometimes my name. What would happen in the future if the shop front would change depending on who’s looking at it?

This had me thinking about what my shop front would be like and so for a quick exercise I’ve designed my own personal shop window.


The shop’s name is my nick name given to me by some of my closest friends. The display consists of taramasalata and diet coke (my staple diet), a drawing board, a portfolio, a drawing of my friends, ‘Effy’ boots, boxing gloves, music headphones, disco ball, an urban sign, a ‘I heart north London’ t-shirt, cut off shorts, a pint and 90% student discount!

The question is, what would be in yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment