Wednesday 17 August 2011

Dirty Little Online Secrets.

In the past 2 weeks I have been practicing my probes on shoppers in London. From one of my studies I discussed window shopping with Charlotte Web. Charlotte is a 24 year old young professional who is very much into her fashion and is not shy of shopping. She told me that she does not window shop when she doesn’t have money because she finds it frustrating but does browse online. She continued telling me she had online wish lists full with thousands of pounds worth of clothes and accessories on various websites!

I found this so interesting and it got me thinking about the difference between window shopping on-line and in real life. The ease of being able to virtually visit top designers some people would never have the guts to visit in person or may not even be allowed in! The ability to add a ridiculously expensive dress into you ‘basket’ without clicking and committing to buy.

What other secret shopping habits do people have online that they are reluctant to advertise to the rest of the world?

Anonymity and online community by John M Grohol discusses the ramifications of being able to sit at a computer and avoid face to face communication. We feel free and uninhibited when we are online.

My thoughts turned to this future digital high street where shop fronts would know, from your smart phones, your buying behaviour and would invite you in if they had what you want! But how would they distinguish between what is and isn't your secret behaviour you don’t want people knowing about? What if everything didn't stay so anonymous?


A trip to the high street could become a real life nightmare!

No comments:

Post a Comment