Monday 8 August 2011

A Question of Sorts

A few weeks ago I came across what I think may be a really influential paper for my project, but "lying to myself that I have freedom in my own schedule", resolved to write a literature review that never happened. I have now started this task, so I would though like to share some of my initial thoughts.

The paper is from OZCHI 2010, entitled "Reflecting on Reflection: Framing a Design Landscape", and deals with reflection as a tool for learning, or to quote a practice where "individuals... explore their experiences in order to lead to new understandings and appreciations". I was drawn to it having touched on the "myth of business" in earlier posts, feeling there is a need for greater reflection within architectural education, and having gathered some evidence to support this in my own preliminary research.

The paper constructs a theoretical framework for the practice of reflection, posing questions I have asked myself.

What is the purpose for which I am going to ask people to reflect upon their work as architecture students? Is it a learning process to inform future action? Or a process of empowerment or emancipation from past mistakes? Or is it about seeing from a removed perspective, what you missed at the time? The lessons that were unrealised and outcomes that were unexpected?

There are conditions that are conducive to reflective practice; there must be time. What am I going to do to create and allow time for reflection? Reflection is a developmental progress which people can learn, indeed people may find it unnatural and may need encouragement or support. What am I going to do to create these supporting interactions? How can I help students to review their work from more than their own perspective?

A reflective experience need not be an epiphany, but is an opportunity to reorganise ideas, whether they're ongoing design challenges, or a theoretical framework grappled with over years of study.

Really I need to read whole article a few more times and am keen to follow up on some of the citations. There is much discussion of levels of reflection, which feels important to at least consider in the design of any system that I put forward.

Reference:

Fleck, R., Fitzpatrick, G., “Reflecting on Reflection: Framing a Design Landscape”, (OZCHI 2010, 22nd - 26th November), ACM




No comments:

Post a Comment